Question:
The Run Around?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
The Run Around?
Four answers:
Lisa
2007-05-12 17:17:58 UTC
Not meant to be. You sound like a nice guy, and they don't deserve you!!! Keep looking.
2007-05-12 03:17:32 UTC
The reason for the delay is to ensure you have interviewed all candidates and have a nice pool to select from. Depending on the type of position it can take weeks sometimes due to delays from prospective candidates rescheduling the interview date or the hiring manager may have to sudenly be out of the office due to a personal problem.

Insofar as the GM's feedback to you. It appears someone may have interviewed whose career is as a server (example: last 5 or 10 years of there life.) If you are a newbie in the field and such a person interviewed they would certainly wonder if you are in it for the long run.

This is going to sound corny, but sometimes what we want and don't get was a blessing in disguise. I remember this one job I really wanted and fought for it. I got it. Was the worst job I had in my life and I eventually quit before I murdered someone and wounded up in jail. The right job is out there for you. Hang tight.
Mel
2007-05-12 03:08:17 UTC
first question first - the answer is, there can be a lot of reasons:

-different companies make hiring decisions differently. at some places, one person makes the call alone. at others, it is a consensus decision.

-similiarly, different firms have different policies on who exactly may extend an employment offer, and when, and how.

-the assistant boss may have thought you were great but got vetoed by the big boss.

-your references may not have checked out to the satisfaction of the hiring manager(s)

-any number of other things could have happened "behind the scenes" - hiring freeze, cost reduction efforts, a need to hire more diverse employees to meet affirmative action quotas, an internal transfer candidate surfaced, etc.

now for the "longevity" question - my personal preference is to hire the person with the personality and aptitude I need and to teach them the "technical" aspects of the job. however, not everyone operates the same way (see the first point, above.) some managers emphasize education - some require a certain level of experience - still others look at how much time a person spends with a company to be sure they aren't hiring a "job hopper."

when you interview, you are selling yourself, and part of being a good salesperson is to determine what the other party's needs and requirements are so you can demonstrate how you will meet those needs.

good luck.
jackson
2007-05-12 09:30:51 UTC
On its basic level it is as others have said....... its not necessarily a runaround but they want to review other applicants or see who applies. Many places will require a second or even third interview. They could just be really busy.

But consider this.... a lot of experienced people won't put up with this sort of delay. For one it's indicative of how a restaurant runs things. They want to work for someone who knows this. As there are a million restaurants and anyone decent can and will apply to several places.

The not so smart employer keeps holding out for that perfect person. Then what happens is that after all the delay they call that person and they already have a job. Then they go down the list hoping that you with less experience is still available.

And you know a decent place that is well run often PREFERS a less experienced person. They have confidence in their training and corporate culture. They can train you or mold you to do things their way.

You have done what you can as either they will call you or not. You could call say on Wednesday and inquire. If they still don't know well you have an answer. Meanwhile start applying elsewhere. You never know. I once walked into a place at 2:00 in the afternoon and they asked if I could start that very night.