Question:
Need Career Help!!!!!!!!!!!!?
HERMOSACHIC99
2007-05-11 15:27:21 UTC
I work in national account sales for a national foodservice distributor. I am not happy in my current position because I am not making enough money (salary) and I am working 10-12 hour days and I am burned out to the point it is taking a toll on my health (I am single and cannot afford to quit). I ideally would like to stay in the industry and work for a foodservice manufacturer/vendor in AZ or S. Cal, however I find that the manufacturers/vendors in my area are resistant to talk to me about openings because my current company is a huge customer of theirs and they are afraid it would affect business realtions. I think this is ridiculous and unfair as I should not be trapped by my current company from moving on where ever I choose. I did sign a non-compete agreement, but I am not looking to work for a competitor. I was just wondering if anyone has been stuck in a similar situation or might know of opening in that area. Also, I have my MBA.
Three answers:
czydrm
2007-05-11 15:39:03 UTC
Check this link out as a possible option. It would allow you to build a business of your own without cutting off your current income until you are ready.

Iris
2007-05-11 22:47:03 UTC
I guess the most obvious answer would be to try to find a company that is not in competition with your current one and also does not do business with your current one. But maybe no companies like that are available... I don't know anything about that market or the area.

Is there any possibility for promotion in your current job? I mean if you're unhappy because it doesn't pay enough and the hours are too strenuous, maybe you could go into management training and climb up the ladder a little bit so that the hours are more flexible and your salary is higher.

If that's not an option either, I guess you could also consider shifting fields just a little bit. I know it's not your first choice, but with your qualifications (MBA, nat'l account sales experience) it does appear that you would be a good candidate for the same office in other businesses. (Ie, nat'l account sales in some other industry than foodservices.) Think about fields maybe related to your own, but not identical. What kind of businesses are similar to your current one, require similar knowledge and experience, but maybe sell a different product? I.e., if right now you work for Frito Lay and sell food products to grocery stores, maybe you could consider a job with 3M selling paper products to grocery stores. Just a thought. Sorry not to be of more help! Good luck on the search!
D squared
2007-05-12 01:41:01 UTC
I would say that you need to explore working in a different field. Your'e going to continually encounter problems with competing companies in your local area because of what you said. There's a non compete clause you signed. If you move out of state it should not matter as much. Take a look at the document you signed, there may be something in the fine print where even in another state you may not work at a competing company. Also, be very careful in what you say to prospective employers regarding your current one. And also the way in which you speak about the employer as well. You may be giving out a bad vibe and not realizing it. I would suggest you scrap all together plans on working in the same line of work and try something else. Sometimes we are our worse enemy and negative thoughts get the best of us. You have a lot to offer a company. Always keep that thought first and foremost in your mind. Best of luck to you.